The shock of an was felt in August, 1787, and again in November, 1817.In 1788, the inhabitants erected an obelisk on Castle how hill to commemorate the revolution of 1688.
A large range of houses in Wildman street was erected in 1819; in the following year, Caroline street, Union street, Cross street, and Strickland gate, were formed by the Union Building Society.
In 1822, Nether bridge, Strickland gate, and Wildman street were widened, and an obstruction at Blindbeck bridge was removed.
were formed from between the years 16, and the pack-horses employed here were superseded by carriers' waggons, which were established on the road between Kendal and London, in 1757, the year before the first mail-coach came here from the metropolis.
In 1784, the population of the town was 7571; 3267 males; and 4304, females.
Lucy, the eldest of his three sisters, was married to In the 6th of Henry VIII, John Fleming, of Rydal, the king's escheator, paid into the exchequer 115 17s.
7d., as the issues of the manors of Kirkby in Kendal, belonging to the Lumleys; and 1,224 9s. as the issues of the Richmond fee belonging to the king.The population of the whole parish, in 1841, amounted to 18,027, of which number 10,225 were returned for its capital, the large and opulent town of This parish, though still so extensive and populous, was anciently much larger, for it included both Windermere and Grasmere, which have long been separate parishes, and are now the only rectories in the KENDAL, the largest and most important town in Westmorland, and the capital of the great barony, deanery, and parish of its own name, is delightfully situated in a fertile and open valley, on the banks of the river Kent, and at a short distance from the ruins of the ancient baronial castle. Stramongate bridge was enlarged in 1794, and the Mill bridge, which had stood since 1668, was rebuilt in 1818, when Kent lane was widened.It stands one hundred and eighty-three feet above the level of the sea, and is distant twelve miles N. The completion of the canal to Lancaster, in 1819, gave a powerful impulse to the building spirit of the inhabitants, which still continues to extend the limits of the town, and to improve its general appearance and public accommodations.Ivo, the first Baron of Kendal, gave the church of Kirkby-Stephen, with all the churches in his barony, to the Abbey of St. The manors of Barton, Patterdale, Hackthorp, Melkinthorp, and Morland, in the West Ward, appear to have belonged to this family.To his grandson, Ketel, son of Eldred, William de Meschines gave several places in Cumberland.Fine limestone, suitable for building stone, for mortar, and for the sculptor, is found in various parts of this parish, and near Crook are veins of lead, though not worked for many years. Though the town is very ancient, it has now a modern appearance, nearly all the old houses being rebuilt, and many new streets and rows of neat buildings erected during the last forty years.