As a side-effect (or by design), this allows you to change DNS servers on the fly from the interface without needing root permissions. although, I have to find another of the problems I used to have (that are related to new sites in the /etc/hosts and Opera) to test this and mark as accepted instead of the other : PThat's fine.
@LJ_1102 @ exhuma That would be the Ubuntu's network manager, it listens as a local DNS server, but forwards all requests to whatever is defined.
) for a site I've got hosted, but I still get the domain registrar parking page. ) Ubuntu doesn't cache dns records by default so unless you've installed a dns cache there isn't anything to clear.
I'd like to see if the problem is Ubuntu's cached DNS records. DNS records are likely cached by your provider's DNS servers so if you want to check if the DNS changes you made were successful you can interrogate a DNS server from your domain hosting service with dig: .
Months ago the same happened and the only way I could reach the domain was restarting the computer, but then I had an older Ubuntu version.
as a note you can check and see if your DNS changes have propagated using dig and looking up against someone else other than your default DNS servers. All the answers above forgot one important thing in the name resolution : generally the DNS servers you request the name resolution to is not the one holding the records themselves (the authoritative server).
/usr/sbin/dnsmasq \ --no-resolv \ --keep-in-foreground \ --no-hosts \ --bind-interfaces \ --pid-file=/var/run/Network Manager/\ --listen-address=127.0.1.1 \ --conf-file=/var/run/Network Manager/\ --cache-size=0 \ --proxy-dnssec \ --enable-dbus=org.freedesktop.
Network Manager.dnsmasq \ --conf-dir=/etc/Network Manager/dnsmasq.d cache DNS, it isn't caching out the box.
You could check that the settings are correct in your router if you can access it via the web interface, and perhaps reboot it if necessary.
If it is a general problem with dns, you could try using Google dns instead of your isp dns, and more information on that is detailed here.
I checked at and it was up, so propagation issue discarded.
Not my router, nor my ISP, because I use Google's DNS's 126.96.36.199.
The only solution to be immediately notified of a name record change is to use a TTL value of 0 when creating / updating the entry in the authoritative name server.